Pitru Paksha or Shraddha Paksha is considered very important in the Hindu religion, which lasts for 16 days. During this period, there is a tradition of performing Shraddha, Tarpan, and Pind Daan of ancestors. It is believed that by performing Shraddha rituals during Pitru Paksha, the ancestors are satisfied and the debt of the ancestors is reduced.
On which date, Shraddha should be performed for which ancestors?
Shraddha of those ancestors who died on the full moon day should be performed on the full moon day of Bhadrapada Shukla of Pitru Paksha. It is also known as Prostipada Purnima.
For those who died on the Pratipada date of Shukla Paksha or Krishna Paksha of any month, their Shraddha is performed on the same date as Pitru Paksha. Along with this, even if there is no one in the maternal grandmother’s family to perform Shraddha on Pratipada Shraddha or the date of her death is not known, you can still perform her Shraddha on Pratipada date.
Shraddha of those ancestors who died on the second date of Shukla Paksha or Krishna Paksha of any month is performed on this day.
For those who die on Tritiya Tithi of Kr ishna Paksha or Shukla Paksha, there is a tradition to perform Shraddha on Tritiya Tithi. It is also called Mahabharata.
Those who die on the Chaturthi tithi of Shukla Paksha or Krishna Paksha, their Shraddha is performed on the fourth tithi of Pitru Paksha.
Shraddha of those ancestors who died unmarried is performed on Panchami Tithi. This day is dedicated to the Shraddha of unmarried ancestors.
Shraddha of those who died on Shashthi Tithi of any month is performed on this day. It is also called Chhath Shraddha.
The Shraddha of the person who dies on the seventh day of Shukla Paksha or Krishna Paksha of any month should be performed on this date of Pitru Paksha.
If those ancestors died on Purnima Tithi, their Shraddha is performed on Ashtami, Dwadashi, or Pitrumoksha Amavasya.
Instead of performing Shraddha according to the date of death of the mother, her Shraddha should be performed on Navami Tithi. It is believed that by performing Shraddha of Mata on Navami Tithi, one gets relief from all troubles. At the same time, Shraddha of those women who do not remember their death date can also be performed on Navami Tithi.
Shraddha of the person who died on Dashami Tithi is performed on the tenth date of Mahalaya.
There is a tradition of performing Shraddha of those ancestors on Ekadashi Tithi of people who have taken Sannyasa.
For those whose father has retired, Shraddha should be performed on the Dwadashi date of Pitru Paksha. No matter what date he died. Therefore the date is also called Sanyasi Shraddha.
Shraddha of children is performed on the Trayodashi date of Krishna Paksha of Shraddha Mahalaya.
Shraddha should be performed on Chaturdashi Tithi for those people who have died untimely death such as due to burning by fire, injury by weapons, consumption of poison, accident, or drowning in water.
Shraddha of known and unknown ancestors is performed on Sarvapitri Amavasya, the last day of Pitru Paksha. It is also called Pitru Visarjani Amavasya, Mahalaya Completion.
Important things related to Shraddha
- Every person should perform Shraddha of his previous three generations (father, grandfather, great grandfather) and maternal grandparents.
- Those who enjoy the property of their ancestors and do not perform their Shraddha, such people have to face many sorrows after being cursed by their ancestors.
- If a parent has many sons and lives jointly, then the eldest son should perform the ancestral rituals.
- Shraddha should be performed in Pitru Paksha from noon (12:00 to 01:00)
What to do in Pitru Paksha?
- The first task during Pitru Paksha is to remember our ancestors.
- If you offer offerings to your ancestors during Pitru Paksha, then you have to follow the rules of celibacy throughout this Paksha.
- Whenever you offer tarpan to your ancestors, mix black sesame, flowers, milk, and kush in water and offer it to them. By using Kush the ancestors were satisfied soon.
- During Pitru Paksha, you should offer water to your ancestors every day while bathing. This satisfies their souls and bestows blessings.
- According to religious beliefs, keep food for the ancestors on all days of Pitru Paksha. Feed that food to cow, crow, dog, etc. It is believed that through them this food reaches the ancestors.
- Shraddha rituals for ancestors should be performed between 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Rohini and Kutup Muhurta in the afternoon are considered best for Shraddha.
- During Pitru Paksha, water must be offered to Aryama, the god of ancestors. When they are happy, all the ancestors also become happy and satisfied.
What not to do during Pitrupaksha?
- Garlic, onion, meat, liquor, etc. should not be consumed during Pitru Paksha. it is forbidden.
- Do not insult the elders and ancestors of your family during this time. This can cause Pitra Dosh.
- Using oil, boiling, etc. while bathing during Pitru Paksha is prohibited.
- During this time, you should not do any religious or auspicious work like shaving, engagement, housewarming, naming etc. Doing such things during Pitru Paksha is inauspicious.
- Some people consider it inauspicious to buy and wear new clothes during Pitru Paksha.